Thursday, April 25, 2013

newest experiments in jewellry making....









For many months now, making some 'bib' or statement necklaces has been on my list of things I've wanted to do.  Maybe even years.  After much brainstorming and imaginary problem-solving, it was finally the right time to just sit down, try out some of my ideas, and make (it work).  Of course, creating a self-imposed deadline, by way of offering it up as a potential class*, certainly helped!  LOL!  Regardless of the why, the how and the when finally combine to start creating the what a few short weeks ago.  Easter weekend, to be precise.

I find, for me, the best approach to working out a completely new project is to make sure that I have a big chunk of available time when I finally sit down to start playing.  Regardless of how many potential process kinks I work out prior to starting - simply by spending a lot of time thinking, there are always some rude surprises along the way...and for me, I know that the absolute worst time to stop is right after enduring a disappointment.  So by setting aside more time than I know I will need, which in this case worked out to be a whole day/evening, with nothing else to do, on a long weekend...I was able to make some real progress.

Usually with new techniques and processes, there is a bit of a learning curve.  For the first time in a long time, I was able to witness a fairly quick evolution of my own ideas, practically right before my eyes...modifying, revising and fine-tuning my techniques along the way.  Such is the charm of a small, quick project: there is little time to forget what you learn before you finish the next one, and another, and yet another!  ;-)   It's actually a little bit addictive, to be honest.  And it certainly helps that I am so excited about the possibilities.....

I've even experimented with making belts...and soon hope to expand and play with the idea and basic techniques to incorporate them into other functional items, too.  Stay tuned....


Frequently, over the course of the last few weeks, I have been reminded about how important amazing it is to have a little stash of inspiring supplies on hand, at all times.  I've also been having a great time revisiting some of the trips where the various items were acquired – and let me tell you, some have been lying in wait of an opportunity to shine for years!  Many years....   Some items purchased with a project in mind that never came to pass, some things just because I thought they were interesting, and others just because they might come in handy, someday.  Jewellery disassembled and reinvented, breaths of new life into old beads, and merging memories with new possibilities.   Wow!  It's been so much fun to create something brand new and totally different, and using all stuff that I had on hand already.  Kinda scary, but also kinda great to be able to pull some things out of hibernation and use an eclectic mix of ingredients.  All were hooked over two 24-hour periods (including sleeping, but not including the assembly....LOL!)

So this is just a little glimpse into what has been exciting me and occupying me of late....back soon with more new projects.... ;-)

* I will be teaching class on these in Vermont this October/November.  All of the details available here.