Tuesday, June 05, 2007

new project

Saturday was a great day! I don’t get to go to hook-ins very often, so I really enjoy having a chance to sit and hook and chat and snack ☺ It was also nice to be able to just be a participant (unlike R.U.G., where I seem to run around like a chicken with its head cut off).

I arrived home on Friday night and started scrambling….pulling wool off the shelves, digging through random pieces of backing, flipping though my idea book, and doing a little sketching.. My first couple of ideas were discarded and I finally settled on “the one”. A good friend and local artist R.W. “Bobbi” Haviland had sent a couple of cards in the last few weeks, and at some point in my mad scramble, one caught my eye and it became the inspiration for my latest project.

Bobbi has been a friend of our family for a long time and I have long been an admirer and collector of her work. For the last year or so, I have received “Bobbi Bucks” for special occasions from my folks and some from AJ, too. Two weekends ago, she had a show at her studio and my BBs were burning a hole in my pocket. I was very happy to pick up this piece… (yes, that's my TV reflected int he bottom left corner -- sorry!)

The cool thing about Bobbi’s work is that she has a unique style….and there is so much variety in her work, you can always find something new and different at her studio. If you are ever in the area, it is worth the short drive to her studio in Burk’s Falls. Just south of Burk’s Falls, turn west onto Old Ferguson Road, and then travel about 1-2km…and her studio is on the right side (just look for the sign).
* * * * * * *
So back to the project….
Have you ever noticed that when you don’t hook for a while, your sorta forget how? I find that I have a much greater tendency to pack when I have been away from it for a while. On a bigger piece, it wouldn’t matter too much, or on a piece where you started right in the centre, but this piece is pretty narrow, and I started at one end. Packing ended up distorting the shape of the perimeter….so I ended up ripping out almost everything on Sunday. What the picture shows is the part I hooked on Sunday, and the amount of wool I ripped out (I forgot to take a picture beforehand, but the pile gives an idea of what I had accomplished in Powassan) from Saturday’s efforts.