Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Yarn Cakes

In early July, I headed down to the "Circle of Friends" hook-in, for the first time. It was a lovely day spent with friends....and a great weekend of shopping. I only bought a few things at the hook-in, remaining true to my personal pledge of being on a wool diet (I am not to buy any wool yardage this calendar year). This resolution luckily does not apply to yarn.....and I was happy to score some "Yarn Cakes" of handspun from Sandra Marshall.


The small balls and mini-skeins are just the perfect size for adding a flash of colour or texture to a mat. I picked out most of these with little landscapes in mind. But for now, they are just serving as eye candy and inspiration. So pretty.

I also purchased a wonderful felted bowl from Sandra, and I've been using it for the past week to collect my snippets. So far, so good. I especially like that the bits of wool tend to stick to the inside, so when it falls (as it inevitably does at least once a day), very little falls out onto the floor. But, it's still very easy to empty out when the times comes, and it's soft and squishy, so I don't need to worry about it getting damaged if I'm travelling. I cannot recommend it enough.