Monday, June 25, 2012

saturday

My favourite artist, R.W. Haviland, had an open house on Saturday, at her studio.  I've mentioned Bobbi on the blog a couple of times before.  She lives about 30 minutes north of Huntsville, just outside Burk's Falls, and less than 2 minutes off of the highway (directions and some more photos here).


Sandra and the kids and I went up for a little visit.  We've know Bobbi for years (and years!) and it's always so wonderful to see her newest works, and follow along as her work progresses and changes.  Sandra said "it's a good thing I don't have to pick one....because there are too many that I like...."  And I definitely echo that thought.  I'd also like to have some open wall space....LOL!

In my mind, her work over the last 4-5 years is so transferable to rug hooking.  It will definitely be influencing and inspiring me this Fall, when I hope to embark on a series of landscapes. 

The big canvases will form an exhibit called "Songlines" at the Algonquin Theatre - Partner's Hall (in downtown Huntsville) from July 2nd to 30th.  We were able to preview these new works....and I snapped some quick photos with my iPhone....









It's always fun to get a few behind the scenes glimpses of the process.  Here are the little sketches that began the bigger works....


...and the pastels - so many little pellets of colour....