Wednesday, September 08, 2010

My new baby....

I didn't think that I would ever find another cutter that I love as much as my Bolivar. That was, until my new Bolivar arrived last week.....


Shortly after I started hooking, I added my name to the list of people wanting a Bolivar. The wait was expected to be a couple of years, and while the cost was steep, I figured it was cheaper than buying 3 Frasers (most hookers I knew then had multiple cutters, to avoid having the change the blade). For those of you who are new to hooking, this was before Townsend and others started making cutters with a similar cutting action....it was the original Cadillac of cutters.

My first cutter came with 3 fixed blades: 4, 6, and 8 cuts. It has served me very well and cut many bolts worth of wool over the years, without complaint and without any issues (so long as I periodically cleared out the lint).


I never begrudged the money -- not once over the past 6-7 years. I've also never felt the need to splurge on a Townsend – although I did try one in Vermont years ago. There was nothing wrong with my Bolivar and I didn't really need - or use - any other cuts. Plus, I was more than happy to buy Canadian (but that's a rant for another day....)

The only regret that I had was that I didn't know about the extended cutter heads when I ordered my cutter. The longer heads effectively allow you to cut twice as much wool at once (e.g. a standard blade cuts 3 #8 strips vs. an extended blade cuts 6 #8 strips).

When I started cutting the Crazy Eights this past Spring....I longed for anything that would speed up the process of cutting those many yards and yards and yards of wool - and then I remembered the extended cutter heads. I almost ordered one many times, but I kept reminding myself that I didn't really need it, I just wanted it. But when my Crazy Eights bags started selling like hotcakes, that want turned to need and I could finally justify ordering my baby Bolivar, with the #8 long cutter head (which is about 90+% of my hooking, anyway).

Again, there was a wait, but a mere fraction of my original waiting time. I was thrilled to receive my new baby last week.....and I've already given it a workout. I can't believe how much faster it makes cutting wool. It's literally twice as fast!

If you're like me - and have one cut that predominates - I definitely recommend splurging on a longer cutter head. I also like the smaller size and lighter weight of the single base. Perfect for travelling! No regrets, just love.