Monday, February 07, 2011

Trish Johnson's Rugs - part one

After 3 full days of travelling last week, that finished with me arriving home late Thursday night, the last thing I wanted to do was get back in the car on Friday and drive to Toronto. Except for the planned PJ party at Elaine's with Wendie....and the rare opportunity to hear Trish Johnson talk about her rugs and see almost all of them together in one place. Needless to say, it was totally worth the drive.

Wendie already blogged about some of the wonderful stories behind Trish's rugs....and really nothing bring a rug to life quite like the story behind the rug - especially when you are a good storyteller. Unfortunately you will have to be content with some pictures of the rugs themselves.....and a few fuzzy ones at that. Sorry. No photograph (at least none of mine, and none that I can recall seeing) can do justice to a rug.....but they are better than nothing :-)

I took a whack of pictures, so I will break them up into a few more manageable posts. This first part contains Trish's first few rugs and a number of larger, pictorial/landscapy rugs.

I'm pretty sure the rug in this first photo was also Trish's first hooked rug.....
All of the wool was used 'as-is', except for the sky, which was a white skirt she dyed with RIT.


Most of these next few scenes recall childhood memories and family homes....







One of very few 'patterns' that Trish has hooked - Culley's cottage with lots of additions and customizations. I love the snow on the trees and the bright yellow on the scarf with the turquoisey water.....



I 'met' this rug on the pages of Celebrations years before I had the opportunity - or the nerve - to meet it's maker.....incorporating her grandmother's actual handwriting to help illustrate the store is such a terrific idea...


I don't think I will ever tire of seeing this next one - another Celebrations winner. You can see some close-ups on a previous post here.


Pretty amazing, eh. And there are still more to come.....

P.S. You can click on any of the photos (as with all photos on the blog) to see a larger, more detailed image.