Monday, October 24, 2011

Report from Chantry

I had such a wonderful time teaching at Chantry last year, that I signed up on the spot to return again this year as a student. In short, it didn't disappoint. Now here is the full report.....

It was a nice, relaxing weekend, filled with lots of visiting, a little shopping, some walking, and a small amount of hooking. I found it was especially nice to have the freedom that comes with being a student, and in all honesty, I really wasn't expecting to get a lot of progress made on my pets piece. Not only was the weekend my first continuous hooking stint in many months, I also didn't really want too intrenched in my piece knowing that I was going to be setting it aside when I returned home (and work needs to resume on Jumbo). So I guess you could say that I took it easy.

Here is the latest progress shot.....

Full Disclosure: Go-Go, the sheep was hooked about 8-9 years ago.....as was some of the border on Sammy, the snake :-)

Whenever I return to work on it again (it will be finished one day), the plan is to hook parts of 15 different pets that we've had over the years....drawing attention to any defining features. The spaces in between the black + white frames will be filled with echoing shapes in the hit and miss style, incorporating lots of colours and bringing in some reds, purples, etc. to add to the greens and blues used in the backgrounds. But for now, it will be going back to the bin for a little nap....and who knows when it will make its next appearance?! (hopefully it's not another 8-9 years, LOL!)

My teacher was Gayle Gunby from Orillia, and she treated us to a wonderful, well-planned class. I can't recall the exact title of the class, but it was something along the lines of Family Memories. We spent a lot of time in class sharing stories, and Gail shared several of her rugs with us along with a special behind-the scenes introduction to each rug. I've know Gayle for years, from R.U.G., and it was so lovely to be able to visit with her for a few consecutive days.

Many of these rugs were ones I had not seen before....and it's always wonderful to hear the stories and to see such variety in an individual's work. Thanks to Gayle for bringing them to share....and quickly agreeing to let me share them on the blog. All of the following rugs created by Gayle Gunby (Coldwater, Ontario)

Old family signatures transferred to fabric and sewn onto woolen hearts

The family flock of chickens -- including the one that would bite Gayle, when she was a child.

Gayle and her husband fantasy dancing.

Gayle administering the Spring Tonic to her 5 grandchildren.

Rug hooking as therapy, during Gayle's cancer diagnosis.

Transferring childhood art and stories into hooking.

Fun times in the Maritimes....Gayle and her husband.

Paying tribute to Gayle's Uncle, Mother, Father and Grandfather (?), who all served.

Winter fun with the five grandchildren.

It was wonderful to be able to reconnect with so many people that I had met last year. Being at an event likes this makes me long to belong to a group that gathers often....and really wish that I lived closer to more rug hookers. Thanks so much to Sybil and Vicki for organizing a great weekend, filled with lots of laughs. I hope can join you again next October....