Tuesday, October 11, 2011

where the magic happens


In addition to seeing all of the wonderful sights, getting lots of inspiration, and meeting many nice people on my holiday......one of the highlights was definitely Greencroft. In much of England, houses are named and Greencroft is where Heather Ritchie and her husband Les have made their home.

From the minute I stepped in the door, I knew that I had arrived somewhere very special. It's cosy, it's quirky, it's colourful, and it's filled with so many creative and handcrafted things. It's a place where you can quickly feel welcome and easily relax. I guess it's exactly where you would picture Heather living, once you get to know her....


Like many people who create, I am always fascinated by the places where people do their making (hey, there are even books an magazines showcasing people's studios....so I'm not the only nosey one! ;-) ), and Heather's rug making studio was no exception. I was in and out of the studio many times during my visit -- and noticed more and more things each time.






Heather says that I need to come back and spend a couple of days helping her organize.....and not that I would mind, but I love the character of it as is. With several very tall piles of rugs, you can easily tell that it's an active studio and that ideas are coming alive all of the time here. There is so much variety in colour, texture, fibre and materials, that you're tempted to just sit down and get to work – right in the cosy chair by the woodstove....


Heather was a wonderful hostess....just the right amount of looking after without fussing. It really was great to get to know her, and we had lots of fun together. I am thrilled that I had this opportunity....and must thank Heather and Cilla for inviting me and for taking such good care of me.

I am pretty sure it won't be my last trip -- I haven't cashed in my leftover pounds yet -- and I hope to see this smiling face again soon....