Wednesday, July 11, 2012

introducing "Ewe-Fuse"

I know that I've hinted at and alluded to a new project many times over the last few months....and honestly, I really didn't plan on it being so long before I shared it here.  I guess the flurry of activity before (and during!) the Annual took a lot more out of me than I thought it would.  All the same, the excitement for this technique hasn't diminished one iota for me.  I am thrilled to be able to share my newest creative discovery with you – I've never heard of anyone employing a similar method before. I think the most wonderful thing about it is that I feel the possibilities are endless.  There are so many different things I want to make using my Ewe-Fuse fabric.  So without further ado, here it is.....


The idea of sewing strips of wool together without the bulk of traditional quilting seams has been running around in my head for a few years now. But it really evolved beyond just an idea this past December, when I needed to make a few 11th hour Christmas gifts. Over the course of an evening – and several misfires – I quickly developed the basics for this technique. I knew right away that it was something that I wanted to explore and experiment more with, but I just didn’t have a block of time available to do so until this Spring. When I finally got back to it, it was almost as though someone had suddenly changed the light bulb to a brighter one….and with the space that time provides, ideas quickly morphed beyond my original thoughts.

I know that I still have a lot of my own experimenting to do with this technique and patterns I would still like to develop, but I was just too excited not to share this first simple project: Hot Pads.

Let me assure you that despite all of the steps involved, it really is very basic. You really just need to be able to cut straight – and that’s pretty easy with the help of a rotary cutter, ruler and mat. As always, there are comprehensive full-colour instructions and illustrations to help guide you through each of the steps. I've included some tips and hints to make things easier along the way, as well.

The instruction booklet sells for $12, and it is divided into 3 parts…
  1. Making your 1st piece of ‘ewe-fuse’ fabric
  2. Creating your 1st hot pad
  3. Master Class (pointers about future project possibilities, and some suggestions for making more complex ‘ewe-fuse’ fabrics).
Here are a few snaps of some of the hot pads I've made.  I think they are a great way to experiment with different colour palettes and play with gorgeous hand-dyed wools, without the time that hand-hooking requires.  And they would make a pretty nice gift! :-D