Monday, December 28, 2009

The Met


On Saturday we visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I cannot tell you how much I loved being allowed to take photos (without flash, of course) in most of the NYC museums.

At the Met, Hannah and I spent quite a bit of time - and particularly enjoyed - seeing the Egyptian Art. Here is a sampling of my pics....











While it was amazing to see so many artifacts, I also found it more than a little troubling that these graves and tombs were disturbed (and essentially robbed). From what I saw, most of the pieces were collected over 100 years ago.....I can only hope that the same would not happen today.

On a brighter note, we also saw more than a couple of pictures I would never grow tired of seeing on my wall, including this one....



The Met is so large that it's impossible to see everything in a single visit. We did have a quick walk-though the African Art wing and I fell in love with these images hanging from the ceiling...


Some of the Met's collection is featured in their on-line collection database, where you can see pictures and learn more about individual works. Be careful - you can get lost in there....and easily lose all track of time! ;-)

Saved for another visit: European Masters and The Cloisters (and consequently The Unicorn Tapestries).