Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Handles Available....finally!

Last year I posted about the EB arriving late....but this year he is definitely early! Not only did I receive some chocolate Easter treats at work today, I arrived home to find a couple of parcels, my GMRHG newsletter, and a new issue of Selvedge. Something tells me there won't be a lot of hooking done tonight!

I must confess that I've been holding out a little on announcing news about handles - afraid that I might jinx myself if I spoke too soon. I am happy (thrilled, actually) to say that I finally have handles in my possession. The current offerings include 4 varieties, from a couple of different sources.

Long Rolled handles.....these handles are again being made by Grayson e. in California. The new leather is softer and more uniformly dyed...and it also has more of a matte finish than its predecessor. A pair sells for $46. Length is about 27" from end to end....but when mounted on your purse the resulting armhole is about 10.5" from the top edge of your bag.

Current colours are: black, brown (fairly dark), indigo (turquoise), olive, green (lime), buckskin (taupe) and hot pink (magenta).....


This is the style of handle I used on both my big tote bag and Two Owls purse, and I think they would also work well for a Bala Bag (provided you are not hooking the flap) or on a Large purse (from the paper pattern). I've also see the pair split and a single handle used on a bag.


Single Urban handles.....these handles are again being made by Grayson e. in California. The new leather is softer and more uniformly dyed...and it also has more of a matte finish than its predecessor. A single handle sells for $35. Length is about 37" from end to end....but when mounted on a Bala Bag, the resulting armhole is about 11-13" (from the top edge of your bag - it's adjustable).

Current colours are: olive, green (lime) and buckskin (brownish gold - old stock, firmer leather)...and I have more colours (black, brown, indigo/turquoise, red, grape/purple, hot pink/magenta) on backorder and hopefully they will arrive soon.



Grayson e. is no longer making the buckle/clasps...so these handles will not have matching buckle/clasps available. These were the original straps used on my Bala Bag series. The Single Urban handle is are also great for the Large paper pattern purses.

Bala Sets.....these leather handles are made in Canada and are bundled together with a large buckle/clasp with magnetic closure. A strap with buckle clasp sells for $62. Length is about 37" from end to end....but when mounted on a Bala Bag, the resulting armhole is about 11-13" (from the top edge of your bag - it's adjustable).

Current colours are: black, medium brown and red ...and I am expecting greenish grey, navy and deep plum/dark burgundy sometime in April.


Single Bala handles.....these handles are made in Canada and are bundled together with a magnetic clasp mounted on leather for easy attachment to your purse. A single handle with small magnetic clasp sells for $37. Length is about 37" from end to end....but when mounted on a Bala Bag, the resulting armhole is about 11-13" (from the top edge of your bag - it's adjustable).

Current colours are: black, medium brown and red ...and I am expecting greenish grey, navy and deep plum/dark burgundy sometime in April.

All of the handles come with pre-punched tabs that allow for easy attachment to your purse (hand-sewing).