Friday, April 23, 2010

Flashback Friday

How fitting that on my 500th post, I'd be blogging about the first rug hooker I knew: my grandma Muriel Reany Smith. Several years ago, our family gave a presentation at R.U.G. on three generations of rug hooking....and in preparations, I took photos of all of the rugs we could find in the family.

Here are just a few of my grandma's rugs....I will try to post more in the coming weeks. She h

She hooked this rug for my mum for her first Christmas away from home - hooked with my mum's old clothes.

This rug is huge - I don't know how she hooked all of those hit and miss rows without abandoning ship mid-way.


I'm pretty sure this is a Rittermere pattern. I remember this being on the floor in our house.


This is another Rittermere pattern - I love the texture she's hooked into the land, just jogging her rows every few loops.

If nothing else, looking at these rugs reminds me of the importance of a good foundation -- and why I don't hook rugs on burlap. My grandma didn't start hooking until 1967, and many of these rugs have been out of active duty for quite some time.