Sunday, November 21, 2010

playing catch up....

After a busy few weeks, I finally put the brakes on and had a break last week -- in the form of a few nights in the row of just lying on the couch and the occasional nap. Towards the end of the week, I resumed playing around with my sewing machine and started work on a few Christmas gifts....


I have been learning a lot -- and there is still a lot to learn. Today I started playing around with the free-motion quilting....and had to force myself to stop and get to work on my job list. I can see lots of experimenting with that in my future. Instead, I tidied up and got caught up on my e-mail. I can relax now that my inbox is empty....but know that it will be short-lived.

I still haven't gotten back to work on Jumbo......but I am really hoping to start tonight (maybe typing it will make it true?). With the arrival of my new sewing machine....and re-discovery of a few bins of pretty yarns in my closet, I am feeling drawn in too many directions. I decided I am going to try to work on Jumbo in the evenings, during the week, since it's easy to start and stop and doesn't really require a whole lot of figuring and experimenting at the moment. Then I will will fill my weekends with savouring new discoveries, sewing and knitting, for the next while....

Pretty sad when you need to 'schedule' your hobbies.....I know. But I also know I will regret not working on Jumbo -- it's not going to hook itself, and I'm a little afraid of losing momentum. I really need to get on it again -- it's been almost 3 months since I last hooked on it....

P.S. If you are in Canada and looking for something to watch on TV tonight (Sunday), there is a 1-hour documentary on Cape Dorset on Bravo at 8pm that sounds interesting:
Kinngait: Riding Light Into the World (E)
This one-hour documentary profiles the artists of Cape Dorset’s famed co-operative arts-workshop on Baffin Island in Nunavut. This film introduces some of the finest artists working in this isolated community of 485 that has the largest per captia concentration of artists in Canada.