Thursday, April 26, 2012

more matrix ideas

The motifs in my Amazing Matrix Mat series are really quite simple....and to me, the AMMs are just my modern interpretation of the traditional inch mat.  My way of filling in the spaces with just straight rows of hooking, no outlining, and all sorts of subtle (and not so subtle) variation in the same space are my unique twist.  Some of the larger-scale patterns stem from my own doodles and plays with graph paper, while others (like squares and triangle shapes) have been around for centuries in quilts, tiles, and even fairisle knitting patterns.  

Despite having hooked several rugs, runners....and even Jumbo using this method, I still haven't gotten bored yet.  I am often thinking up new possibilities and always on the look-out for any simple designs that could easily translate into this grid format.  I've shared a couple of these before, and I still haven't gotten bored yet.  I am often sketching out new possibilities and I'm always on the look-out for any simple designs that could easily translate into a grid format.  Sometimes the pattern is already in simple grid form - here are a couple that I happened upon this week....