Sunday, April 29, 2012

where does the wool go...?

It was definitely a dyeing weekend....an extremely crazy amount of wool passed through my pots.   I will share some snaps soon (I was much too tired and the light too poor by the time I got around to it tonight)...but I did want to share this mystery with you.

Have you every noticed how wool is like a "magic sponge"?  When you put it on to soak, you need a lot more water than you might think - check this out....

Here is a stack of wool next to a bin filled with warm water and jet dry – as you can see, the stack of wool is about as tall as the bin....


Now here is the whole stack of wool (approx. 7-8 yards) immersed in the bin....



Can you see how little the water line has raised (it's below the top piece of wool)?  Can you believe that I needed to add more water to the bin to cover the wool?  I think it's so interesting - it made me think twice this weekend.