Sunday, March 20, 2011

DYE LOG • March 20, 2011

I've been needing to dye for a few weeks now, but have been successfully able to procrastinate doing it until today. I had already raided my shelves for a variety of neutrals in lights, near lights, and darks....but still came up a little short for my needs.

Since I like the instant gratification that comes with quick accomplishments....I decided to dye the lighter values first.


The top third of the wools in the following picture were dyed with the above dyes....


and the bottom two thirds of the stack were dyed with these dyes....


One thing I've learned the hard way is that if you want your end result to be dark, don't start with something light as your base. It will take forever to get the colour where you want it....plus it will pig-out on dye while you're waiting.

So I picked over my shelves and pulled out a bunch of different dark colours -- some pieces I knew I had a lot of, others that were crazy marbleized pieces I knew I would never use, and some that were just looking a little stale from sitting on the shelf for too long. Then I chose some dyes and mixed up cups of each....


and transformed them into this....

(sorry I forgot to take 'before' pictures....I will try to remember to do that next time)

The best part is that now that it's all dry and folded, I'm quite sure they will blend right in with their cousins pulled straight off the shelves. Tomorrow in the daylight, I will divide up all of the stacks into smaller piles, further separating by colour and value.

Have I told you lately how much I enjoy dyeing wool? Some days I think I like it even more than hooking....