Tuesday, June 16, 2009

sharing

I don't have very many pieces of rug hooking that was done by other people.... A few pieces that my grandmother hooked (2 of which actually belong to my mum...but as she says, "possession is 9/10ths of the law" ;-) ), a small pillow that AJ gave me when I was in university, some sculptured mushrooms that AJ hooked and gave an old family friend back in the 1970s (who, in turn, mailed them to me from California years ago when she heard that I'd started rug hooking). Oh, and a runner that my mum hooked - her first piece of rug hooking.

The only things that I have which were hooked by non-relatives have been pieces that were exchanged in various mat swaps. I consider myself very lucky to have two little mats hooked by Fiona de Biasi from Gravenhurst.



What I love most about Fiona's work is that she takes risks and uses colours in a way that I'm far to chicken to try....and it totally works. She uses mostly recycled wools in her work....and it adds some really intense and vibrant colours.


A couple of months ago, Fiona came to the Belleville hook-in and gave me a couple of issues of the Rugmaker newsletter, produced in the UK by Cilla Cameron. She'd read them, and passed them along to me to read, I passed them along to AJ and now they've come back to me. I'd love to pass them on someone else....

Please leave a comment and I will randomly draw a name on Monday June 22nd. If you want to share, I'd love to hear about your favourite rug hooking book --> if you had to reduce your library down to just one, which one would it be?