Tuesday, June 30, 2009

yesterday...

For many years, a group of almost 10 rug hookers gathered at AJ & UBs for a week of rug hooking, chatting, and eating (lots and lots of eating). We hooked down in AJs studio whenever we wanted to, and sometimes went on little field trips into town to visit local artists and artisans, go shopping, and occasionally ate out for one of the dinners. Everyone would be responsible for a meal - bringing all of the food, last-minute prep and clean-up. As our numbers grew, some people doubled-up....and there was always plenty of delicious food to eat. It was somewhat like rug camp, only better! The four or five days we were together always seemed to pass too quickly....but lots of friendships were made, in spite the short, annual gatherings.

Yesterday I dashed out at lunchtime to go and meet with two of these rug hooking friends, Joan and Dorinda, over at AJs. The quick lunch break wasn't nearly long enough for us to catch up, but it was great to see them, even for a short visit.

Dorinda is recently back from a workshop at Deanne's and brought her work-in-progress to share with us. I think it looks really great -- I snapped a couple of quick pictures on my way out the door, and here are some close-ups...


I really enjoy seeing people combining styles to make things their own. Deanne has a very recognizable style...and Dorinda has combined some of Deanne's materials and methods with her own colours and technique. Awesome!

Dorinda had asked me to bring some textured wool and supplies for her group to use in their landscape projects this Fall....and so I played around in the dyepots again on Sunday. Here are the results....


Dyeing the slub is so much fun. Every time I think of the big box of skeins waiting to be dyed, it makes me feel happy. In all of the craziness that is going on in my little world these days, having things that make me feel so excited is pretty swell.