Thursday, December 04, 2008

things I know for sure...

1. Getting ready for a workshop take a lot of time. Evening and evenings of time...


2. I'm not charging enough for my kits, given the amount of time it takes to assemble them (dyeing, drying, cutting, counting, bundling, straightening, aligning, pining, cutting, folding, packaging...oh, and I almost forgot the printing, cutting, shopping...the list is endless).
3. I need to start placing a higher value on my time and my creations.
4. My apartment looks like a lint-bomb went off inside it.
5. I've had to brush snow off my car for 4 mornings in a row....and I'm getting a little sick of it.

On a more positive note...
I was asked to share more details about the upcoming stocking workshop. Our family's Christmas stockings are the reason I first learned how to hook. My aunt made these stockings....


....for my sisters and me back in 1977. With every birth and marriage, a new stocking needs to be created. Somehow I was elected to the post of official family stocking maker....and the rest, as they say, is history!

The stockings are very different from my regular style of hooking - and aside from the thrill I get from keeping the tradition alive, they are also a lot of fun to make. Plus, there a pretty quick project - relatively speaking, of course! I can hook a front in about 6-7 hours or 1-2 evenings of hooking. Since I took over from AJ in 1991, I've made at least one each year...for a total of 20. But I'm still a long way off from the over 100 that AJ produced.

When the ladies from North Bay invited me to come a teach a small project as soon as I was able....the first and best idea that I could come up with was the stockings. Naturally I asked AJ for permission, first....and then set upon the task of coming up with directions to explain the process to others. I've now created an instruction booklet, complete with colour illustrations, design charts, sewing patterns, etc. which will be available for purchase following my workshop this weekend (they will be my guinea pigs and I want to make sure that I haven't forgotten anything and that the instructions are clear before I print more copies). I'll post something on the blog when it's ready to go...

For now, I'm scurrying around, trying to organize the things I need to bring with me for the class....and just keeping my fingers crossed that I remember everything.