Sunday, March 15, 2009

it's hip to hook squares

....at least I hope so! ;-) I first started hooking these minature squares many years ago, and made this pillow top...


Two or three years later, I needed to whip up a quick demo for a purse workshop....and the squares fit the bill....


A couple of Christmases ago, I hooked a variety of checkerboards for gifts, and one used the same squares....


It was only a matter of time until I'd visit this favourite pattern again. I've been wanting to create another purse with a more geometric design and I thought the squares would work well on my new shape. After a fairly self-indulgent weekend, I'm happy to report that the hooking on my latest purse, Everyday Carré, is now complete!


Not only are these squares a great way to use up leftovers, there's really something almost hypnotic about hooking them. Once the simple hooking pattern grid is memorized (this is what keep the squares in line), it's easy to just get lost in the sea of colours...and just play with beautiful wool.