Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Making Chai Lattés


Peggy left a comment, asking for my "recipe". I'd hardly call it that - I use a super easy, cheater's method.... I buy the Tazo concentrate (available in 1L Tetra pak, at Starbuck's or your local grocery store, for sometimes a little less). And, I use a milk frother (I bought mine at Homesense or Winners - the original glass broke, so I'm using just the beaker part of an old French Press since it's practically the same - it just lacks a handle).

Pour about 1.5" of cold milk in glass beaker. Heat milk until it's super hot, but not yet boiling - the hotter it is, the better it will froth (exactly 2 minutes in my microwave). Meanwhile, fill mug 1/3 full with concentrate (the carton says equal parts, but I find that pretty strong)...then heat up in the microwave (about 1 minute). While concentrate is heating, plunge the milk, quickly and repeatedly, until there is sufficient froth. Pour milk on top of the concentrate, holding back the foam with a spoon. Scoop out the foam and place on top. Sit, relax and enjoy!