Sunday, March 15, 2009

printing labels

A week or so ago, I posted about some new labels I'd created for the purses I'm making. A couple of people wanted to know more about it....

While I really try to limit the amount of shopping I do at Wal-Mart, ever once in a while, I run out of other (convenient) options. Such was the case a few weeks ago when I was looking for some new slippers for my dad, and I didn't find what I was looking for in any of the other stores in town. I didn't find them at Wal-Mart either...but when I was there, I took a quick walk through the fabric section to scan for wool. (It's only happened once before, but I did actually find 90% wool for sale there at only $5/m.)

Instead I found this package...


There are 6 sheets of 8.5"x11" fabric fused to paper in the package for $14.97 or so. It comes in a couple of different fabrics (I chose the twill).

I've used t-shirt transfers before for labels, but there are a few things that I don't really like about them. Mostly I don't like the texture and feel of the finished product (plastic-ey); the edges of the transfer are always a little rough and globby after ironing; the colour is never quite right; and you need to reverse your image when printing (I'm always afraid it won't work or I'll forget and ruin my sheet).

I was very happy with the fabric sheets - you simple feed them into your ink-jet printer, allow to dry completely after printing, peel off the paper and rinse under running water for 30 seconds. You print the same as if you were printing on paper - the only problem is that you might need to help feed it into your printer (since it's so thick). I would recomment that you leave at least a 1/2" margin - since some ink residue, dirt, etc., clung to the front and back edges of my fabric.

The colour does fade a bit with the washing, but even so, I don't anticipate going back to the old way any time soon.