Monday, February 13, 2012

Week 36: 71.5 square feet

The rug is getting harder to man-handle, but I'm learning some tricks. The bulk of the already hooked section has been rolled and tied every foot or so, with heavy, strong yarn....and before I even try to position my work on the frame, I've been using some more yarn to secure one of these ties to the top-bar on my frame. This has done a good job of keeping the weight up enough that I can centre and square the part I want to hook on the gripper frames (without gravity skewing it all sideways. I've also started holding up the rest of the 'log', using either a stool for it to balance on, or lately I've just been propping it up on the couch (opposite from where I've been sitting to hook). You can get a bit of an idea of the funny set-up in this picture.....


The last corner is getting much closer, and I hope to be working on a short side sometime this weekend. Of course, that will necessitate another grand unrolling and re-rolling....just so that I can reposition everything and reach the section to be hooking. But it's not all bad - seeing it all at once should be quite motivating for a sprint to the finish. Plus, since it will be shorter, I might not have to hop over it every time I go in and out of my bedroom (or worry that I will forget it's there if I get up in the middle of the night! LOL!)


Speaking of finishes.....I am already starting to stress about how I'm going to press it when done (and regretting not doing the middle all of those months ago). Any suggestions? I usually use an Elna Press and a wet tea towel, but that's not an option -- mine isn't anywhere big enough to accommodate such a huge roll (I'd only be able to do the outside several feet). I'm contemplating buying a proper steam iron - and I'd be grateful for any feedback if you've ever used one before on your work.