Wednesday, February 01, 2012

The start of the Knit Parade....


I realized that I have quite a few finished knits that I haven't shared yet...so I'm going to try to assemble some pictures and start posting about them. First up is Golden Wheat, designed by Veera Valimaki of 100% rain. This was the first of her patterns I tried -- and I'm now on my fourth! ( I love sweaters that don't have a lot of seams....what can I say.... :-))

(sorry - it's the best I can do this early in the morning....)

Not really ‘golden’ and not really ‘wheat’.....but I’m still loving this knit, even though the name doesn’t fit.

I started and finished the knitting last summer, mostly while camping, and I remember it all seemed to come together quite quickly. I was originally thinking that it would be a great thing to bring with me to England.....but I soon realized that it would be both too warm and take up too much room in my suitcase. This is no light-weight sweater!

Finding the right buttons proved to be the biggest challenge. I looked at hundreds, and finally decided on a style that was in short supply. Rather than settle for something else, I asked the store to order in more.....and patiently waited. A few weeks went by, I went on my trip, life got busy, and I forgot all about the sweater – and the buttons! Until just before Christmas, when I was out shopping a sale at the fabric store....and I suddenly remembered to look for the buttons. Luckily they not only still had them, but they also had enough of them.


It just took a few minutes to sew them on, and my new cardigan was ready to go into rotation.....just in time for the real winter weather.

P.S. If you're curious, I knit with two strands together (Cascade 220 in the green and Ultra Alpace light in a navyish colour), and I think the only modification I made was to extend the button holes all of the way down. Oh, and I just remembered I also decided for forgo the pocket.