Friday, January 23, 2009

all in the family...

I might have mentioned somewhere along the line that I am the daughter, niece, cousin, granddaughter and great-granddaughter of rug hookers. My Grandma, Muriel Reany Smith, was the first hooker I really knew...and I thought I'd share newly discovered pictures with you today.

When I was over visiting at AJ's last weekend, we started looking at some old pictures she'd found of rugs. Amongst the photos was this picture of (half of) my Grandma hooking. (I have no idea who the man hooking beside her might be - do you?)


I was delighted with the picture and immediately told AJ that if she had any other pictures of Grandma hooking, that I'd like one. She scrounged around a little more and eventually found this one....


Although this is not the Grandma I remember (she looks more like the first photo)...I cannot tell you how much I wish that one of the girls leaning on the frame was me. Instead, they're my two sisters....and judging by the sizes of them, I'd guess that I've yet to make my entry into the world (or else I'm a pretty small baby). Fun, none-the-less.

I haven't given up hope yet that more photos of my grandma hooking will be found, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be a beauty.

In the meantime, here is a great photo of AJ hooking outside, while camping. I'm not sure when the picture was taken -- I guess I'll have to check for the date on the rug, the next time I'm over...but I'm guessing that it was sometime in the 70s.



::

Work on the snowmen continues...but I cut the pad of my sewing thumb yesterday afternoon (not seriously), and the band-aid was interfering with the needle and thread last night. I hope to get back at them tonight and have them finished up in short order....because like every other rug hooker, I'm eager to get started on the next project! ;-)