Monday, January 19, 2009

Making Snowmen - the hooking part

I've been hooking away on more snowmen bodies. It's not the most exciting hooking....which is why it's taken me so long to get this post ready for you ;-) I have just one and a bit left to hook on my piece of backing and then the fun of assembly will begin. I'm hoping to be well underway with that part this week...and be posting the instructions by the weekend. In the meantime, keeners can get started hooking....

: :

First of all, I must confess that I don't really use a "pattern" in the conventional sense, when hooking my snowmen. I did use one for the very first snowman I hooked, but I soon discovered there was an easier way for me to do it. Here's my method...

I start by tracing around the bottom of a pop can or drawing a similar sized circle for the head, and then I hook it.


To make the middle, I draw another circle, about 1/2" below my hooking...and try to keep it in line with the first one. I hook and fill this circle and then hook an additional 2-3 rows around it, attaching it to the head.


To make the bottom, I draw another circle (similar to the last one) and then I measure 10.5-11" down from the top of the head and draw a line across the grain of my backing. I hook and fill the circle, and I also hook across the bottom line. Then I hook around the circle several more times (likely 5-6), attaching it to the middle and also the bottom line.


I like to make the bottom a little larger, just to give the little guy more to stand on, and so I extend the bottom line beyond my circles just a little bit and bring it up on a steep angle to attach to the bottom snowball (as illustrated)

A couple of other miscellaneous tips...
• If you top and tail them (alternate between heads and feet at one end), you can fit more men on your backing.
• You don't need to worry about keeping the circles perfect...I often just freehand them and if they end up being ovals, that's okay, too!
• Use lots of different lights to make them more interesting and fun to hook
• Once you start decorating them with buttons, hats, scarves, etc., the hooking shifts to the background...so you don't need to fuss too much with making it perfect.
• Doing the hooking is the "grunt work" part of making the snowmen....so I like to hook a bunch at once, and then reward myself with the decorating. (Plus it's a more economical use of your backing this way!)