Friday, January 16, 2009

more knitting...

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out just how enamored I am with Noro yarn. Both of the projects I have to share today are knit with it...


First up is a simple scarf of my own creation, knit with a new type of yarn called Yuzen (56% wool, 34% silk and 10% kid mohair). Similar to this one, except I knit two rows with each of the yarns before switching. Every row is knit - I think the end result is called double-garter stitch?

Materials: Noro Yuzen - 1 skein of Colour 2 and 1 skein of Colour 4
Needles: 5.5mm DP (you could also use a circular or swing needle)
Directions: Cast on 18 stitches with Yarn A. Knit one row with Yarn A. Slide stitches to the other end of the needle and knit 2 rows with Yarn B (wrapping Yarn A around Yarn B at the end of the first row, to carry it up). Slide stitches to the other end of the needle and knit 2 rows with Yarn A. ...and so on

It's very simple, and quick to knit...since you're curious to see how the colours will blend with each and every row.



Admittedly this is a bad photo - I guess that's what you get when you're rushing to get out the door in the morning! ;-)

I actually knit this triangular shawl last summer and just love it! Since you are knitting double (with both ends of the ball at once), the colour changes are never severe and are different with each ball.

It seems like every time I wear it, people want to know how to knit it. So if you're one of them, here's what you need to know...

Materials: Noro Silk Garden - I used 6 balls to make mine
Needles: 10mm circular
Directions: Cast on 3 stitches with yarn held double.
Increase Row 1 (RS): K1, yo, knit to end of row
Increase Row 2 (WS): Purl (don't forget to purl the yarn-over from the previous row)
*repeat rows 1 and 2 until you have 55 stitches, ending with a WS row
Decrease Row 1 (RS): K1, yo, K2tog, knit to end of row
Decrease Row 2 (WS): Purl to last 4 stitches, p2tog, Purl 2 (don't forget to count the yarn-over from the previous row)
*repeat rows 1 and 2 until you have only 3 stitches left, then pull yarn end through remaining stitches to fasten off.

Fringe: I prefer a long fringe, so I cut my yarn about 7-8" long and used two strands (=4 when folded in half) to loop through every other hole along the edge.

Note: If you'd like a larger shawl....just use more wool and knit more rows before you start decreasing. I'm pretty sure that AJ used 8 balls to knit hers.