Wednesday, January 07, 2009

deux cent cinquante

I’m sure that I’ve already mentioned my fascination with Kaffe Fassett on this blog... It all started almost 20 years ago, when I was still in high school and my Mum brought home his first book, Glorious Knitting. I started off knitting his sweaters when I was still in high school. Around the same time, the Textile Museum featured and exhibit of his work….and we traveled down to Toronto see it.

Over the years I’m sure that we’ve bought all of his knitting books, the needlepoint books, the book on mosaics, and a few of the quilting books. One thing is for certain: I never tire of looking at any of them! Often I find that some of the most interesting things to look at in the books aren’t the patterns and projects themselves, but the locations of the shoots and other little pictures…and of course, the colours. Oh, the colours….

Okay, back to the giveaway….. Several sweaters later, I decided to foray into needlepoint. My Nana had done needlepoint – and petit point, too – and I had plans of chairs I’d like to reupholster with needlepoint….but I first needed to learn the basic technique. Armed with blank canvas and dozens of mini skeins dyed in one of Mum and AJ’s Around the Colour Wheel demonstrations….I started experimenting.

This pillow front is the only needlepoint project I ever completed. I’m not sure exactly when I did it, but it was at least 10 years ago (and more likely closer to 15!) The design is a one-of-a-kind conglomeration of several of Kaffe's different knitting patterns. The dimensions are a not quite square 15.5” by 16”



Although the piece has moved homes along with me – several times – I never seem to get around to making it into a pillow. During my big tidy before Christmas, I happened upon it in the closet and pulled it out, determined to finally finish it and/or find a home for it. It’s been sitting in a pile on the counter ever since.

So, I’m not going to finish it for you, but it’s up for grabs to anyone who thinks they’d like to do it. You need only leave a comment telling about the oldest WIP you have tucked away in your closet before Sunday January 11th at midnight to be considered. On Monday I will use a random number generator to determine the lucky recipient and then I’ll announce it here on the blog.