Sunday, January 04, 2009

Days 9, 10 and 11

Remember this? Although I hadn't been hooking on it, it wasn't forgotten.

I didn't realize until just now, when I was searching for the above link that I never did post about Day 9. If my computer is accurate, it took place at the end of July. As you can see, I didn't make a whole lot of progress that day... (and most of what little I did accomplish ended up getting pulled out later!)

No doubt frustration took over and caused me to set it aside - for 5 months! I'm not sure whether it was just time that I needed - but had I known that I could finish all of the hooking in less that 24 hours, I know I would have completed it long ago.

With the busyness of the holidays and Uncle Bob's passing, choosing to sit at home alone and hook all afternoon and evening on Friday was just what I needed.

Because it's the New Year, I feel compelled to finish off some of my outstanding projects...and this landscape was definitely near the top of my list.

The cause of the delay was the fact that I was still feeling more than a little intimidated by the trees and bushes on the right side - and it didn't help that some of my lines were incomplete. My approach was to start by hooking all the parts where I knew what I wanted to do, such as filling in most of the rest of the sky and hooking some of the small trees. (Seeing these areas hooked is so much better than imagining them hooked and trying to plan the rest of your hooking in your mind.) At the same time, I reworked some of the parts that obviously weren't working - at least those ones for which I had a better idea ;-) Once that was done, it was time to "take the plunge" and with the help of a blue sharpie I created some new shapes to hook in the remaining area.

By the time I went to bed that night, I could hardly believe how much I had hooked - and how little was left to be done.

I woke up on Saturday morning and started hooking before my first cup of coffee...and I was finished before noon - even with a few small changes to my work from the day before...

Because I know that some of you might be curious, I measured it today and it's 36" wide by 17" high. I still can't believe that all of the hooking was done in just 11 days (even though some of them were quite long ones!) Now all that's left to be done is to share it with AJ and hear any suggestions that she has for final tweaking...and then decide how I'm going to finish the edge. I'm torn between whipping it and mounting it on a piece of plywood with a narrow wooden frame. Any suggestions?