Tuesday, January 17, 2012

on my bookshelf


One of my goals for this year is to really ramp up my reading again. I used to be a voracious reader, frequently staying up well past my bedtime to just read a little more, and sometimes waaaaaay past my bedtime to finish a book to the end. It's not unusual for me to read a whole book in just a handful of sessions -- and sometimes even in one single spell. I think it's because of the concentrated blocks of time required, that I've let my reading slide over the years....filling the time with other incompatible pursuits that require the use of both hands.

I'm off to a pretty good start so far, having read two books in the first two weeks of the year. Although I was a long way from reaching my goal last year of a book every two weeks, I'm feeling pretty good about 2012. I started a new list in the sidebar to make it easier for me to keep track.

At the moment, I have this little stack of books waiting in my queue - a mix of oldies (those that I remembered really loving in the past, but can no longer remember many details about) and a few newbies. I am also making my way through the Peter Robinson Inspector Banks books (mystery series set in the Yorkshire Dales, discovered early in my trip and reinforced after a surprise meeting of the author in a train station there) on OverDrive, and I'm wait-listed for Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand and Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese.

Do you have any books you think I should add to my list? They don't have to be overly literary, but I do enjoy a good story.

= = = = = = = = =

I'm heading down to the city this morning for a few days (gotta love it when you're heading out on a day when all of the buses are cancelled...). In the middle of a couple of things for work, I'm hoping to sneak in a visit to the Textile Museum, and sit in on a couple of classes at Elaine's place. Since I'm staying with her, I get to be her special guest ;-) I'm sure it will be a blast.....and will tell you all about it for sure when I get home, if not from the road....